Tuesday, February 2, 2010

FEATURED SPOKEN WORD ARTIST

Alvin Lloyd Alexander Horn

Alvin Lloyd Alexander Horn, the author of BRUSH STROKES, was born in 1957 and growing up in the "Liberal on the surface" Seattle lifestyle where most black people had jobs, could go most places, and had no stereotypical ghettos, Alvin has let the Northwest flavor flows through his writing.




He credits his mother for sending him to the library when she placed him "on restriction, often” he laughs. Pages from Mark Twain became daydreams and the autobiographies and biographies of many others, made his imagination run wild with stories to tell. Add in the fact he had always been a good athlete and was a natural musician, his interests moved to artists and athletes, like Sam Cooke and Mohammed Ali. Biographies of Bessie Smith and Jack Johnson, and many others brought into view the history of the blues artistically and as a way of life. He also credits the "little gray-haired white lady" for introducing him to the likes of Richard Wright, Ralph Ellison, Claude Brown and Zora Neale Hurston. Upon hearing and reading the work of Nikki Giovanni he knew he wanted to be a writer of love stories. “Some of my erotic writing imagination came from my dad leaving Playboy magazines in a not so secret place. My friends scanned the pictures but me I just read the stories, most of the time.”


Before the writing of BRUSH STROKES, there was college and a fifteen-year stint in the aerospace industry while coaching various high school sports. The last ten years he has worked in the field of education, teaching poetry and creative writing, and Now we have books of poetry, spoken word CD’s, radio and television voice over’s, and now the novel BRUSH STROKES, and many more stories to come from Alvin Lloyd Alexander Horn.

You can catch him around the Northwest reciting poetry and playing stand-up bass at different venues, if he is not as he says, "Oh, I have too many hobbies; I love to cruise in my classic cars. That means I need time to restore them. I live on my 45-foot boat, but that means I need time to maintain it. I should head down to Pike Place Market to buy some fresh shrimp and then sauté them in real butter, but then that means I have to do more sit ups. Nah, I need to finish writing…but first I need to tune my motorcycle and then take it out for test spin here in Seattle, under bluest skies there ever were, but I do love Houston, Hot-lanta, Vegas, Vancouver B.C., and most parts of California, and New York.



 
Wherever you find Alvin Lloyd Alexander Horn, he’ll be writing about what he sees and feels. Stay tuned.

For booking or price quotes please contact:



Alvin Lloyd Alexander Horn
email: gold.bass@earthlink.net
phone: 206-240-3468



Books, short stories and poetry, and hear his spoken word at
http://alvinhorn.com/
http://www.facebook.com/people/Alvin-Lloyd-Alexander-Horn/1069203273
http://www.myspace.com/romanticblues